Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Timeless Beauty

how i longed for the birth of light
before the day of wonder
a future full of promise
yet, in this land of anguish and hunger,
the road to the Golden Grove
is not for the faint-hearted

but there is hope under the mushroom cloud
as the rainbow lorikeet sings,
and the moon dances
in the gentle waves,
my humble heart brims with joy
i tweet the wonders of Terra Australis

indeed, there is so much fun in
this desolate land of ravishing beauty
a land of terrible fruitfulness;
nurturing my dreams on the fatal shore
waltzing with me in silence; purifying my thoughts;
writing the first stanza of my being

it is a land of infinite tenderness, a utopian enclave
of artistic splendour, of heroic virtues of the Dreamtime
leaping into love like a new moon in my orbit
drawing my soul into her luminous heart
blending unrequited longing with endless boredom
even with all these loaves and fishes


© Lawrence T. Udo-Ekpo







4 comments:

CiCi said...

Your joy comes through loud and clear in your words. It is fun to read your words and bring away the love you have for your part of the world.

African Refugees said...

Thank you for your comments, CiCi.
Much appreciated!

CiCi said...

I never tire of reading your poems. I don't know how many years I have been reading your posts now, but first at TechnoBabe and then as myself I am amazed how beautifully you write. Not just saying that, I want everyone to be able to read your blog. You should put the poems into book form.

African Refugees said...

You're so sweet, CiCi.
I love your insightful comments and suggestions.

Thank you for your visit.