Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Conversation with Hamadou Haman

He’s just one of the newcomers to the land Down Under. But as Hamadou Haman struggles for survival, he does so with the knowledge that a great future awaits him.

What is your country of origin?
Cameroon

How long have you been in Australia?
I have lived in Australia for two years. It’s been a great challenge for me but I’m enjoying the experience.

What do you like most about this country?
The quality of life here is fantastic. There is a sense of stability and wellbeing.

What is your favourite food?
African food! Pounded yam is my favourite dish. But okra soup is also good for the soul – I love it.

Do you have a favourite drink?
I like the wholesome, crisp-tasting, nature of organic fruit juice. In fact, I like anything to do with the nectar of tropical fruits.

Have you read anything interesting lately?
I read mostly computer books, journals, newsletters, and the financial press.

What is your favourite TV program?
I’m absolutely passionate about the news, documentaries, reality TV shows and the like - something new and unconventional.

What sort of music do you like?
I like African music because it offers unlimited scope for cultural interaction and experimentation - spreading the enlightenment! I’m naturally drawn to the cool, understated, harmony and rhythm inherent in African music.

What is your ultimate goal?
My goal is to work hard, finish my studies, and find a job in the information technology industry.

What would you do to help improve the life of African refugees in Australia?
Educate the new arrivals! I want to be a positive role model for the young migrants and refugees struggling to make sense of the world around them.

No comments: