Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Yarn With Genet

An Ethiopia-born Genet Kabede, who came to Australia as a refugee, knows a thing or two about the problems facing the new arrivals. I talked with her a few days ago.

Fancy: What is your country of origin?
Genet: Ethiopia

Fancy: How long have you been in Australia?
Genet:
Ten years. I was only 15 years old when I came to Australia.

Fancy: What do you like most about Australia?
Genet:
I like the Peaceful atmosphere and the freedom of movement.

Fancy: What is your favourite food?
Genet: Thanks for asking! Ethiopian stew is my favourite dish. It is easy to make and very nutritious - a real treat. I love it! (Giggles)

Fancy: Do you have a favourite drink?
Genet: Oh yes! I like the fruitful sweetness of the mango juice; especially on a hot summer’s day.

Fancy: Have you read anything interesting lately?
Genet: I
am still reading the “Hospital by the River” by John Little. It’s my favourite book at the moment.

Fancy: What is your favourite TV program?
Genet:
There are a few of those: I really like the Oprah Winfrey Show, and “The Bold and the Beautiful”. I also watch the “Body Work”.

Fancy: What sort of music do you like?
Genet: I like
the Ethiopian music – the traditional and the more contemporary forms.

Fancy: What is your goal in life?
Genet: My ultimate goal is financial independence and security. I want to finish my studies, then get a good job and make lots of money. I have a great passion for what I do.

Fancy: What would you do to help improve the living conditions of African refugees in Australia?

Genet: Changes in values and behaviour! I would like to teach them the language and how to communicate with people; helping them to get a good job, work hard, and set achievable goals for themselves. The first thing is to teach the new arrivals about the Australian culture. In fact, the young ones need some knowledge of etiquette and behavioural change. We must help them adapt and stand on their own two feet.

No comments: